Arrow’s been on my watch-one-day list for ages. Then s3 gifsets started appearing on tumblr and someone (I think it possibly might have been ghostcat?) called Oliver “a big dumb pine tree” and for some unknown reason that did it for me and I had to start watching it immediately…
Some thoughts on s1 so far:
1. Tumblr’s spoiled me for pretty much all the major plot points BUT that makes it superexciting when something happens I didn’t know about. Like WHO TOMMY’S DAD IS.
2. The guest baddies though. Lincoln from Fringe! Sark from Alias! Fun fun fun.
4. FELICITY SMOAK. Because of tumblr I was predisposed to like her but then she appeared and now I adore her and her cool ear piercing and her glasses and her ‘run-off-with-your-family-jewels-oh-shit-what-did-i-just-say’ AND HER GENERAL BRILLIANCE. She’s a guest star right now and I’m sat there like, just wait Oliver Queen, tumblr informs me she will be important. She’s already important to me.
5. So. Much. Shirtless working out.
5. I don’t know what exactly it is but Stephen Amell puts a sort of softness into the whole bearing of Island!Oliver that is completely gone from his Oliver in the present. He’s a good actor. He basically carries the show for a long while, before the other characters get more established and the team starts building around him.
6. Suspending my disbelief but hahahahahaha COME ON, as if no-one who knows him would recognise him when he’s The Hood just because he lowers his voice. I know he’s been away for 5 years but he stands in Laurel’s living room and she has no idea it’s Oliver. She should know him from just his presence alone. Hey ho.
7. I’ve watched so many episodes that my internal monologue has the serious!Oliver!voiceover voice now. I’m getting quite fond of that.